Ruaka Neighborhood Guide: Everything You Need to Know.
Located just outside the bustling city of Nairobi, Ruaka is a fast-growing suburb that has become a popular residential area for many Kenyans. With a vibrant community, stunning scenery, and plenty of amenities, it's no wonder that Ruaka is one of the most sought-after places to live in the country. In this neighborhood guide, we'll take a closer look at what makes Ruaka unique, including its attractions, restaurants, and local events.
Ruaka's Location and Accessibility
Ruaka is situated on the outskirts of Nairobi, making it a prime location for those who want to be close to the city center without living in the hustle and bustle of Nairobi itself. The neighborhood is easily accessible from Nairobi via Limuru Road, and is also close to the Northern Bypass, which provides easy access to other parts of the city. If you are looking for Ruaka's postal code, it is 00900.
Getting to and from Ruaka
Ruaka is conveniently located near Nairobi and can be easily accessed by both private and public means of transport.
The most affordable way to get from Ruaka to Nairobi is to drive, which costs KES 200 - KES300 and takes around 14 minutes depending on the traffic.
Ruaka is also accessible by matatu buses which are the most common mode of public transportation in Nairobi. The average cost of a matatu bus ride to Ruaka is KES 50 to KES 100, depending on the distance and time of day.
Bus lines to Ruaka from Parklands/Westlands
There are several bus lines that operate between Parklands/Westlands and Ruaka. These include:
1. 11F: This bus line operates from Parklands and its direction is towards Ruaka. It is a popular bus line for those traveling to Ruaka from Parklands.
2. 107: This bus line operates from Westlands and its direction is towards Ndenderu, but it also passes through Ruaka. If you are traveling from Westlands to Ruaka, you can take this bus line and alight at Ruaka.
3. 114R: This bus line operates from Westlands and its direction is towards Limuru. However, it also passes through Ruaka, making it a convenient option for those traveling to Ruaka from Westlands.
4. 106: This bus line operates from Westlands and its direction is towards Banana. It passes through Ruaka, making it a suitable option for those traveling to Ruaka from Westlands.
5. 107D: This bus line operates from Westlands and its direction is towards Ruiru. It passes through Ruaka, making it a convenient option for those traveling to Ruaka from Westlands.
6. 116: This bus line operates from Westlands and its direction is towards Limuru. It also passes through Ruaka, making it a suitable option for those traveling to Ruaka from Westlands. These bus lines offer an affordable and convenient way to get to and from Ruaka.
Attractions in Ruaka
There are several attractions in Ruaka that are worth checking out. Some of the most popular include:
1. Two Rivers Mall: This is one of the largest malls in East Africa, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
2. Karura Forest: A popular spot for hiking and picnics, Karura Forest is a beautiful nature reserve that offers stunning views of the city and plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities.
3. Paradise Lost: This is a beautiful park that is home to a variety of wildlife, including monkeys, zebras, and ostriches. There are also several waterfalls and caves to explore.
Restaurants and Dining in Ruaka
Ruaka has a diverse food scene, with plenty of options for those who want to try something new. Some of the most popular restaurants in the area include:
1. Big Square: This restaurant chain is known for its delicious burgers and milkshakes.
2. Java House: A popular coffee shop chain that also serves a wide range of sandwiches, salads, and other dishes.
3. Tilapia House: This restaurant specializes in fish dishes, and is a popular spot for lunch or dinner.
Local Events and Festivals
Ruaka has a strong community spirit, and there are often events and festivals held throughout the year. Some of the most popular include:
1. Ruaka Family Fun Day: Held annually, this event features games, food, and entertainment for the whole family.
2. Kijani Festival: This is an eco-friendly festival that celebrates sustainable living and environmental conservation.
3. Nairobi Restaurant Week: This annual event showcases the best restaurants in Nairobi and offers discounts on meals.
Real Estate and Housing in Ruaka
Ruaka is a popular residential area, and there are several housing options available to suit different budgets and lifestyles. Some of the most popular types of housing in the area include apartments, townhouses, and standalone homes.
One of the most appealing aspects of Ruaka is its affordability, especially when it comes to property prices. The average cost of a 2-bedroom apartment in Ruaka is approximately Kshs 10 million ($100,000), while a 3-bedroom apartment goes for Kshs 15 million ($150,000). These prices are significantly lower than those in other upscale neighborhoods in Nairobi, making Ruaka an ideal place for homebuyers looking for value for money.
Rental Prices in Ruaka:
Ruaka is a popular residential area in Nairobi, and as such, there are plenty of rental options available for those who are looking to rent. The average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Ruaka is around KES 20,000 per month, while a two-bedroom apartment can cost anywhere between KES 30,000 to KES 40,000 per month. If you're looking for a larger space, a three-bedroom apartment or house can cost anywhere between KES 50,000 to KES 70,000 per month.
It's important to note that rental prices in Ruaka can vary depending on the location, size, and quality of the property. Some of the factors that can affect rental prices include proximity to amenities, security, and the condition of the property.
Available Airbnb Rates in Ruaka
As of 2021, the average Airbnb rates in Ruaka were around $35-$80 (KES 3500 t0 KES 8000) per night, depending on the type of furnished accommodation and location within the neighborhood. It's important to note that prices of Airbnbs in Ruaka may vary depending on the season, availability, and other factors. It's always best to check with Airbnb directly or other booking platforms (OTAs) for the most up-to-date information.
Here are some registered real estate companies in Ruaka:
1. Optiven Limited - located at Garden City Mall, Thika Road, Ruaka.
2. Nakibolis Heirs Limited - located at Wingi Global Networks along Muthithi Road
3. HassConsult - located at Crystal Rivers, Kiambu Road, Ruaka.
4. Azizi Realtors - located at Elixir Business Park, Thika Road, Ruaka.
5. Villa Care Ltd - located at The Mirage, Chiromo Road, Ruaka.
6. Tysons Limited - located at The Mall, Westlands, Ruaka.
7. Goshen Real estate - located on Ruaka Square, the building with formerly Tuskys Supermarket.
8. Miamu Properties Limited
10. Cytonn Real Estate, Nairobi
11. KIONGOZI REALTORS and INVESTMENTS
12. Durian Property Consult Ltd
These are just a few examples of real estate companies in Ruaka.
Overall, Ruaka is a great place to live, with a wide range of options available for those looking to rent. Whether you're a young professional, a family, or a student, you're sure to find a rental property that meets your needs and budget in this vibrant neighborhood.
Junior and Senior Schools in Ruaka
Ruaka boasts some of the best schools in Nairobi, making it a great place to raise a family. These include the prestigious Rosslyn Academy, Sabis International School, and Potterhouse School, among others. These schools offer top-notch education and a variety of extracurricular activities for students.
Public and Private Hospitals in Ruaka
Healthcare is a critical aspect of any community, and Ruaka has several world-class hospitals that cater to the medical needs of its residents. These include the AAR Health Center, Gertrude's Children Hospital, and the Aga Khan University Hospital. These hospitals offer a range of medical services, from general checkups to specialized treatments, and are staffed by highly trained and experienced medical professionals.
Factories in Ruaka: Where to find jobs in.
Ruaka is also home to several factories that employ hundreds of residents, contributing to the local economy. These factories produce a variety of products, including textiles, furniture, and electronics, among others. The most prominent factories in Ruaka include Kijabe Industries and Sameer Africa.
Ruaka is a vibrant and growing neighborhood that offers something for everyone. With its stunning scenery, diverse food scene, and strong community spirit, it's no wonder that it's become such a popular place to live in Nairobi. Ruaka is a perfect alternative for Kasarani and Roysambu, Lower Kabete, Juja along Thika Road, Imara Daima and Utawala along the Eastern Bypass. Whether you're a resident or just visiting, there's always something new to discover in Ruaka that makes it also an ideal place to rent while working in Westlands in Nairobi.